As I already explained in my previous article that no matter who you are and what you do, having an online personal brand is going to boost your chances of success and helps you to stand out from the crowd.
There is a misconception that personal branding is for someone who owns a business or planning to start one. That is not true. Personal branding is for everyone. You can start building your personal brand at any age at any time. it’s never too late.
And if you are willing to build your personal brand the very first and foremost step is to find out your niche?
You have to figure out what do you want to share with the world, what do you stand for. And this message has to be crystal clear, specific and focused in one direction.
You may ask? Why do I have to have a niche? Can’t I share whatever I feel like? Of course, you can but it will not benefit you in long run.
So, if you want to take it seriously and want to build a significant online presence that can make provide value and earn profit in return, you have to be specific with your message, you have to serve a specific group of people to build a community.
Because “When you try to serve everyone, you serve no one.”
“I have discovered that you will achieve nothing if you pursue everything. Be specific and stay focused.”
So now you know why it’s important to have a niche.
now comes the question how can I find my niche?
No worries I am here to help you with that. I am going to break down how to discover, how to narrow it down, how to determine profitability, and how to select which niche is right for you.
Ready to find the perfect niche? So, let’s get started
1. Know Yourself
To find your niche, you need to know yourself personally and professionally. You need to find out your passion and your interests, something that you enjoy doing, something that you can do for all your life without getting bored.
So, to do that I suggest you take a pen-paper and make a list of 10 things that you are passionate about, things that you enjoy doing. It can be anything, do not worry about the marketing trends or profitability of your idea. Just brain dump your ideas in the paper.
Remember that building your personal brand is not a sprint it is a marathon. You will face a lot of ups and downs. So, if you choose a niche that doesn’t excite you, you are more likely to quit. But if you are passionate about something, You will stick to it to the end.
Here are a few questions that will help you determine what your interests and passions are:
- How do you spend your free time?
- What is something that you want to do for the rest of your life even if you are not getting paid for it?
- What do you look forward to doing when you aren’t doing it?
- What are the things you care about?
- What are your values and beliefs?
- What are things you want to share with the whole world?
- What topics do you want to learn?
- What kind of content you consume?
I hope now you have a clear idea of your area of interest. So, let’s move to the next step.
2. Identify Problems You can solve or Values you can provide
You have a list of 10 things you are passionate about. Now it’s time to find out what values you can provide to your targeted audience while perusing your passion.
Are you going to teach something? Are you going to entertain? Are you going to motivate them with your stories? Identify what values or services or product you going to provide?
Suppose your passion is cooking. So how can you use this niche to build your brand around it. You can teach cooking online offline. You can use social media to build a community of like-minded people. You can develop and share your own recipes. You can promote products you use while cooking and collaborate with brands. You can recommend product to your audience and earn money through affiliate marketing. You can publish your own eBook.
The opportunities are endless. All you need is a mobile phone, internet connection, passion and dedication.
3. What Makes You Different
So, I am assuming that you have identified you niche by now, the next step is to narrow it down and give it a unique touch or a personal touch. Your personal brand is all about you. hence you need to tweak your niche a little bit to give it a personal touch.
Suppose you love reading books and you want to create your personal brand around it. But there are hundreds and thousands of people creating content around this topic already. And if you do what someone is already doing, chances are you will get lost in the crowd or you have to work really-really hard to beat the competition.
So, to survive and to stand out all you need to do is to give your idea a unique touch. You have to do it in a way that others are not doing. Do some research on what people are doing in your niche and find out what’s missing. Then figure out how you can fill that void.
so, if you want to build your personal brand around books. Instead of talking about all the books You can narrow it to some specific type such as fiction or nonfiction. Or you can narrow it down to categories such as motivation, romance, poetry, detective novels etc. or you can target a specific group of people such as women, children, or entrepreneurs and start recommending books that can benefit them.
So, if you want to build your personal brand you should give answers to specific kingdom questions. Here are some tips that can help you to do your research:
- Make a list of competitors in your niche and then start analysing their content. Dig deep into their comment section see what type of questions people are asking.
- Go to Quora, type your keyword and see what people are looking for.
- Or simply type your keyword on google, go to the news section and see what’s trending in that niche and how you can contribute to that. Share your views.
By doing this you will get the idea of what problems people are facing, what questions they have that is still unsolved. Now you can solve those questions and grab attention.
So, look around and within and figure out what can offer that others cannot. And once you did it, no one can stop you.
4. Find Out Ways to Monetize Your Passion
So, once you find out your specific niche, do not rush for money. Let me be honest You are not going to make any money in the starting.
You have to create consistent content in your niche for at least 6 months to 1 year. You have to work hard to build your online community. You have to be active on different social media platform. You have to establish yourself as an expert in your niche.
When you are building your personal brand look at it as a full-time job. You have to invest a lot of time and hard word to see results. Do a proper research and planning before doing anything.
Here are some ways you can make money out of your passion
- Promote brands and products. One of the most common ways to make money on social media is by promoting brands and their products. Write honest reviews and don’t forget to tag the brands you are promoting. This is also known as influencer marketing.
- Use affiliate links. This is something similar to promoting brands. In affiliate marketing, you need your followers to click on the link and make a sale to earn a commission.
- Sell something. You can use social media to sell you product and services.
- Create an information product. If you are someone who has deep knowledge in a particular area. You can establish yourself as an expert in that field by sharing your thoughts and views via different social media platforms. Once you have enough connections on your social media platform then you can start selling your information product such as eBooks, emails, audio or video courses, etc.
I have written a detailed post on making money from social media so do check it out for more insights on all these points. Here is the link: How to make money with social media?
Now You have all of the information you need to choose a niche, so what are you waiting for make your plan and start working. Create content, share it on social media platforms, connect with people, provide value and most importantly enjoy the journey.
If you have any doubt regarding this topic or if you have any questions related to personal branding on social media, do let m know in the comment section. I will be delighted to help you.
For now, signing off until next post.
Like and subscribe to The Life. & Do not forget to share this with your near and dear ones.
Thanks for reading | Stay happy, stay healthy.