As soon as we wake up in the morning, we start running around on auto-pilot mode. We open our eyes and rush to the bathroom, make coffee, have breakfast, make bed etc. We do all these tasks at the same pace in the same order every day. You know why because our brain has become habitual of daily chores. Hence it doesn’t need any special attention. And this is not good for our brain health. The monotony of daily life is killing our brain.
As Pablo Neruda says,
He who becomes the slave of habit, Who follows the same routes every day, Who never changes pace, Who does not risk and change the color of his clothes, Who does not speak and does not experience, Dies slowly.
Imagine when we discover a new song we listen to it in a loop for a few days. After some time we get bored. There’s no pleasure left. It doesn’t stimulate our mind and soul. It is the same with life.
I am so scared about the idea of sameness. It makes life so dull and boring. How can someone spend his/her whole life wearing the same type of clothes and eating the same type of food, living in the same place, doing the same work? It scares the hell out of me. Even writing about it makes me nervous? I need changes to keep going. Whereas I have seen people who get addicted to their routine and are very afraid of changes.
Our brain is developing every second. The scientists have found that new activities stimulate the new connection between brain cells. And generate new cells and also provide protection against future cell loss. We should keep sending new signals to the brain and keep them challenging.
Brain improves when there are new surprising stimuli.
Psychologists claim that monotony can slow down cognitive functioning and reduce brain performance.
Monotony prevents us from giving full attention to our tasks because subconscious brain is habitual. It works as a recorder. It records information and provide it when they needed without any extra effort and attention.
To break up with the monotony and have better brain functions. We should keep changing the things and activities that have become our habits. and keep challenging the brain cells.
It’s not possible to change things every single day but we can tweak things little to keep up the excitement. Like, If you go for the morning walk daily, try taking different routes.
If you love reading, change your reading spots.
Don’t be the prisoner of unvarying routine. If you feel stuck in the same routine and yearning for change here are some tips.
- Join hobby classes. A hobby is something that is worthy of all the efforts required. Creative hobbies are rejuvenation and proven for better brain health.
- Learn new skills. the brain grows and gets stronger when you learn. Everyone knows that when you lift weights, your muscles get bigger and you get stronger. … Inside the cortex of the brain are billions of tiny nerve cells, called neurons.
- Learn a new language. Enroll in a language class or use can also use an online resource such as Duolingo and learn a new language for free.
- Try small changes in your everyday routine. Such as a different form of exercise like Yoga, Zumba, Running, Cycling, Take a different route for your office, Make a different hairstyle, Wear different colors, Use Different perfume, Go to different restaurants. There are so many small changes you can do to lighten up your mood and avoid boredom.
- Call someone you haven’t spoken for a long time and Revive your relationship.
- Volunteer for the cause you care about. It will make you feel wonderful.
- Go for camping. Spend time in the lap of nature. Refresh your mind and soul.
- Try the recipe of food you buy. It will be great fun.
- Pamper yourself. Go for a spa, massage or do some skin and hair care at home. You can also try UrbanClap services, they provide salon services at home at your own comfort.
- Take a short trip with friends to a nearby destination on the weekend to relax and refresh yourself.
- Reading is the quickest, easiest, and most affordable escape from reality. Grab a book of your interest. You can also listen to Audio Books for free while doing household chores or commuting to work.
- Listen to a podcast. Podcasts are full of surprising stories, details, and facts. listen to them while commuting to work or doing house chores. it will give you an awesome source of interesting knowledge and get you going.
- Spend time with your family. Do some fun family activities together play some games. Do something that everyone enjoys.
- Everyone has a story, listen to the people around you. it adds much more to my experiences.
- Start observing things. Pay attention. Be there.life is actually so full of enriching experiences.
- Go find peace in solitude. Take a break from the chaos of daily life.
Have an idea? Drop the idea below in the comment section.
For now, signing off until next post.
Like and subscribe to Life Hacks. & Do not forget to share this with your near and dear ones.
Thanks for reading | Stay happy, stay healthy.
- 9 Psychological Tricks to be The Most Charming Person in The Room
- How Childhood Experiences Affect Our Personality?
- Why Do a Married Women Have To “Look Married?”
- 13 Easy and Effective Time Management Tips
- Top 10 Tips to make yourself Mentally Strong
- Top 20 Ultimate Tips For Better College or Academic Life
- Top 10 Bits of Advice from a Judge who handled family dispute courts
- Top 10 Parenting Rules by Janusz Korczak you need to know
- Where There is a will, There is a way
- How to Stop Giving your Powers away to the world