Yes, you have heard it right. Cancer can happen to anyone and in any part of your body. Studies show that approximately 44% men and 39% women are susceptible to develop cancer in their life time which is scary news but the good news is that 50% cancers can be avoided by healthy lifestyle choices. Pollutants, tobacco, certain infections, radiation, obesity, and lack of physical exercise are the most common factors that increase the risk of cancer.
Cancer is not a disease; it is a set of diseases involving abnormal cell growth which results in damaging other healthy cells on the way. This excess cell growth may form tumor. Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world.
- There are over 100 types of cancer.
- Only 5-10% percentage of cancers have a genetic link.
- The word ‘cancer’ comes from the Latin for ‘crab’ – just like the zodiac sign
- 22% of cancers deaths are caused by tobacco use.
- The risk of getting cancer increases with age. About 77% of all cancers are diagnosed in people 55-years or older.
- Excluding skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.
- The most common cancers among men are: prostate, lung, and colorectal (colon) cancer.
- Those who sleep less than six hours a night are more likely to develop colon cancer than those who sleep more.
- Pilots and flight attendants are twice as likely to get skin cancer melanoma from higher exposure to UV rays.
- Red Wine Kills Cancer Cells.
- Air pollution causes lung cancer and is also linked to an increased risk for bladder cancer.
- 3.5% of cancer deaths worldwide are attributable to the consumption of alcohol.
- Drinking very hot beverages increases your risk of developing cancer.
- One out of eight deaths in the world is due to cancer. Cancer causes more deaths than AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria combined.
- Women who have no children or who have their first pregnancy after the age of 30 have a slightly higher risk of developing breast cancer than those who become pregnant while they are younger.
- Breast-feeding may also reduce the risk of breast cancer slightly.
- Breast cancer is considered a taboo in many Middle Eastern countries, and many women will not get tested because they fear being examined by male doctors.
- Breast cancer is most common in left breast than the right.
- Cancer patients have twice the risk of suicide than the general population. Men are more likely to kill themselves immediately after a diagnosis.
- Green tea, berries, turmeric, avocados, garlic, kale, and even dark chocolate are just a few that target and destroy cancer cells.
So these are some interesting facts about the killer disease cancer. As I mentioned above more than 50% of cancers are preventable. So clean up your diet have more fruits and veggies, drink at least one cup of green tea in a day, quit smoking and alcohol, exercise to prevent this deadly disease.
P.S.: If you liked this post, you might also like EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SUNSCREEN (SPF FACTS) and MIGRAINE- THE INVISIBLE ILLNESS.
For now signing off until next post. please motivate me by giving your feed back as comment and also share your views.
Please don’t forget to like, subscribe, comment and share with your loved ones.
Drive more traffic to your blog using performance based marketing.
Thanks for reading.
Stay happy, stay healthy.