Eating a lot of junk food is very normal to today’s generation. In metropolitan cities, the tradition of eating home cooked food is replaced by quick fix snacks, packaged food items, chips and biscuits, pizza, burger. While everyone is aware of the harmful effects of junk food. But all of us is not paying attention to this topic.
“Just one small burger, I will do exercise later.”
“I can eat fries once in a week, it is not going to affect me”
Well, stop talking to yourself. Here I am to tell you all that how these junk foods are affecting your body and mind in short term and long term.
Fast food isn’t necessarily bad, but in many cases, it’s highly processed and contains large amounts of carbs, added sugar, and unhealthy fats. These foods are often high in calorie and it has very little or no nutritional value. It has a direct impact on how you feel as well as on your overall health.
These are the long term and short term effects of junk food:
- Digestive problems-Those who are addicted to junk food are more likely to suffer from digestive problems. That’s because junk food is deep fried and loads with lots of spices. The oil gets deposited on the walls of the stomach lining, increases acid production and affect the digestion process.
- Higher Cholesterol-Junk foods contain trans fats. Trans fats are produced by partially hydrogenating various types of oil. These have been linked to serious health problems. For instance, increased level of “bad” cholesterol and decreased level of “good cholesterol,” Risk of heart disease etc.
- Obesity and Insulin Resistance-people who eat fast food are more likely to gain weight, increased blood sugar level, and heart disease risk.
- Depression-Is there any link between depression and junk food? The answer is yes. Researchers proved that people who consume lots of junk food are more likely to report symptoms of depression. On the other hand, who include fish, fruits and vegetables in their diet are less likely to report such symptoms. So regularly consuming junk food can negatively affect your sense of self.
Recommended-DEAR STRESS, LET’S BREAK UP!
- Diabetes-When you eat a healthy diet, your body gets the proper amount of glucose, which helps maintain insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, when you eat junk food, it affects the ability of your body to use insulin properly. Hence its consumption directly results in a spike in sugar levels.
- Fatigue and weakness-Junk food is very low in nutrients like proteins and vitamins, which are must for maintenance of overall health and functioning of all the systems in your body. Although it makes you feel full and satisfied but fails to provide the nutrition, which makes you feel weak and tired. Junk food will increase the risk of chronic fatigue and low energy levels.
- Affects the brain function-Researchers suggest that bad fats (trans fats) from junk food tends to replace healthy fats in the brain and interferes with its normal signaling mechanism. Apart from this junk food also slows down the ability to learn new skills.
Recommended-YOUR OWN HABITS ARE KILLING YOUR BRAIN
- The risk of heart disease-Junk foods are loaded with saturated fats and trans fats that directly increase bad cholesterol levels in the blood, which can contribute to plaque formation and heart disease. Fats from junk food can make you obese. The more weight you put on, the higher your risk of suffering from heart attack.
- Kidney disease-Fast food like fries and chips contain the high amount of finely processed salt which increases salivation and secretion of enzymes that why you can’t say no to these foods. Hence the kidney has to filter all the toxins from the blood, eating a lot of junk food has a direct effect on the kidney functioning.
- Damage your liver-Junk food consumption over a period of time can have a similar harmful effect on the liver as alcohol consumption do. Yes, you heard it right. According to some studies, it’s the high level of trans fats found in lots of junk food deposited in the liver and cause liver damage.
- The risk of cancer-Lack of fiber is the main reason why junk food consumption is linked to an increased risk of cancers of the digestive system. A study that consuming too much of fast food that are high in sugar and fat can increase your chances of developing Colorectal cancer.
- Skin problems-Your diet keeps your body slim and healthy, but it doesn’t stop there. The food you eat has a direct impact on your skin health, From Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables to hydrating healthy fats in fish. Eating too much fast food can cause lots of skin problems like acne, wrinkle etc.
- Oral health-Having lots of junk food and sugary drinks increases the risk of tooth decay. Bacteria in the mouth feed on the excess sugar, creating acids, which erode the enamel on teeth.
P.S.: If you liked this post, you might also like BAD HABITS THAT CAN RUIN YOUR HEALTH (WORTH QUITTING) and BEAUTY BENEFITS OF DRINKING COCONUT WATER DAILY.
For now signing off until next post. please motivate me by giving your feed back as comment and also share your views.
Please don’t forget to like, subscribe, comment and share with your loved ones.
Drive more traffic to your blog using performance based marketing.
Thanks for reading.
Stay happy, stay healthy.