For those who don’t suffer from Migraine-the invisible illness and headache, it’s often hard to understand just how debilitating they can be. But living with this headache disorder is no walk in the park. Fortunately, there are several home remedy treatments that can help alleviate migraine pain and other types of headaches. Read on to discover headache remedies.
Recommended- A migraine- THE INVISIBLE ILLNESS
- COLD OR HOT?- Using an ice pack is perhaps the most popular home remedy to get rid of a tension headache as well as a migraine. It alleviates pain very effectively. On the other hand just soaking your feet in hot water also helps get rid of a headache.You can also place a washcloth dipped in ice-cold or hot water over your head for 5 minutes. Repeat the process if needed.
- PEPPERMINT- Drink a cup of peppermint tea. Repeat as needed.You can also massage your temples with few drops of peppermint essential oil or a combination of peppermint and lavender oils. Leave it on for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat the process until you get relief. The anti-inflammatory property of peppermint helps soothe the nerves. Plus, it has an antispasmodic and calming effect.
- GINGER-Drink ginger tea a few times throughout the day until you get relief. Simply chewing a piece of raw ginger root will also help treat the problem and relieve symptoms like nausea and digestive distress. It blocks prostaglandins, which are chemicals that promote muscle contractions, impact hormones and regulate inflammation in blood vessels in the brain.
- MASSAGE-Gently massage your head with your first two fingers in a circular motion. While massaging, keep in mind that there are pressure points at locations like the base of the skull, middle of the forehead (between the eyebrows) and corners of the eyes that when pressed correctly help relieve pain. Massaging the head helps ease migraine headaches as it blocks pain signals sent to the brain. It also boosts serotonin activity and stimulates certain serotonin receptors, thereby reducing the symptoms as well as the frequency of migraines.
- APPLE-Eating an apple as soon as you experience the signs of a migraine attack can help reduce the problem. Moreover, research suggests that the smell of a green apple can also help reduce the severity of a migraine and shorten migraine episodes, especially for those who find the smell pleasing.
- COFFEE-A cup of strong coffee can help reduce migraine headache symptoms. It contains caffeine that restricts blood vessels and blocks certain receptors that could be causing the migraine.
Warning: Caffeine may trigger migraines in some people. Also, too much caffeine may worsen your headache or cause a rebound headache.
- LAVENDER OIL-One of the best home remedy for headaches and migraine pain. Lavender oil can be either inhaled or applied topically. Two to four drops for every two to three cups of boiling water are recommended when inhaling lavender oil vapors as a headache treatment. Unlike many medicinal oils, this home remedy can also be safely applied externally without the need to dilute it. Lavender oil should not be taken orally.Buy here
- BASIL-Basil, the ‘royal-herb’, certainly tastes and smells good. And for people in need of a natural headache treatment, the oil derived from basil plants can also be a useful home remedy. Basil works as a muscle relaxant, so it is especially helpful for headaches caused by tension and tight muscles.Bye here
- FLAX-SEED-Some headaches are caused by inflammation, which can be reduced by consuming omega-3 fatty acids. Flax-seed can help provide headache relief because it’s rich in omega-3s. Flax-seed can be used as a home remedy in several forms, including as an oil and ground or whole seeds.Buy here
- NUTS-Instead of popping a pill when you get a headache, grab some almonds. For everyday tension-type headaches, almonds can be a natural remedy and a healthier alternative to other medicine. Try eating a handful or two of these wholesome nuts when you feel the ache start to set in.
Note: People who suffer from migraines may find that almonds are a trigger food.
- CLOVES-Cloves can be used to ease a throbbing headache due to its cooling and pain-relieving properties. Crush a few cloves gently and put them in a clean handkerchief. Inhale the smell whenever you have a headache until you get some relief from the pain. You can also take 2 drops of clove oil in a tablespoon of coconut oil plus sea salt and gently massage your forehead and temples with it.Buy here
- TAKE A NAP- Ever notice how the world seems renewed after a nap? Sometimes just a simple power nap is enough for your body to reboot and calm your headache.
- MAGNESIUM-If you’re deficient in magnesium, it could be the cause of your headaches and migraines. Correct the deficiency, end the migraines. And magnesium supplements (or magnesium oil) can get rid of a headache that’s already begun as well.
- GO OUTSIDE-Let’s face it: the air inside of our homes and other buildings isn’t ideal. Fresh air is important for health, as is getting adequate sunlight. A few minutes outdoors can be surprisingly refreshing, even enough to relieve your head pain.
- VITAMIN B2- Vitamin B2 can also act as a preventative for migraines, It can cause some people to urinate more frequently or have darker urine, so the dosage may have to be adjusted.
In addition to these remedies, try relaxation exercises and yoga and meditation. Plus, get enough sleep, eat a diet low in carbohydrates and high in protein, avoid foods that trigger your migraine attacks and drink plenty of water.
Please don’t forget to like, subscribe, comment and share with your loved ones.
Thanks for reading.
Stay happy, stay healthy.